Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hiking up to a frozen waterfall

On one of my last adventures up north in British Columbia, Canada, some friends of mine thought it would be a great idea to hike up a wash-out at night, with the snow knee- to hip-deep. It was hard to hike (crawl?) up to the frozen waterfall and no one realized how cold it actually would be that night. After about 1.5 hrs with many stumbles and one fall (mine of course), we finally made it as far as we could without bringing out the heavy equipment. We stood there and let nature do it's thing. It was a clear night, with a bright moon and so many stars out we didn't even make use of our flashlights. I think we all stopped breathing for a few seconds when we finally saw and felt nature's beauty that night.

The hike was so exhausting that even a couple of days later I was still sore and bruised from the first trip up the hill. We went up there again and it took me a bit longer that day (even with less snow), but it was more than worth it.

Since I know that many readers will appreciate it, I posted some pics of that adventure. And yes, the person that looks close to frozen is me during the day trip. Needless to say it was a windy and cold day!


Apparel:
- The North Face Thermal Shirt
- Mountain Hardwear "longjohns"
- Firefly Snow pants
- Sherpa Outdoor Jacket
- Columbia boots (Omni-Tech)

No comments:

Post a Comment